OCR04650 - *YES* Octopath Traveler & Final Fantasy 15 "Valse di Scholastica"

MindWanderer

EnQ2twY.png

I've come up with a new receipe!

Two great tastes that taste great together!

donut (Warp Whistles Music): clarinet, arrangement, mixing

lobby (Warp Whistles Music): flute

endlessrepeat: piano

Since everything was recorded, I wouldn't be able to redo anything other than the clarinet parts (I'll own up to my own garbage that may need to be taken out) but there probably is a decent amount of stuff I could fix if need be in the project that wouldn't require rerecording.

Games & Sources:

Octopath Traveler - Cyrus, The Scholar 

Final Fantasy XV - Valse di Fantastica 

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/11/16 - Final Fantasy 15 & Octopath Traveler "Valse di Scholastica"

we need more submission memes! and this meme is very correct, they're super similar enough that i'm having trouble keeping track of which is which. the little section in the middle of the initial presentation of cyrus that switches to the V is just delightful. what great originals.

initial presentation is cyrus in the flute. clarinet tone is a bit reedy and pitchy in the lower register - the higher register though is a really nice singing tone. there's a few embouchure-related pitch bends as you jump around. the dovetail into valse di fantastica is stellar, i missed it the first time through - such a great combo. the key doesn't do the clarinet any favors.

my only complaints here are around the shape of the piece. the piano pretty much just is on autopilot throughout, and any dynamic variation would be driven by the keys here...so there isn't any. having some push-pull both to the tempo (difficult assuming you're not in the same place for the recording) and the dynamics (easy even if you're remote) would help a ton with conveying the whimsy that this piece feels like it has. similarly, there's a ton of little flourishes and added elements in the originals that are not conveyed in the piano part (again, because it's on a strict pattern of left hand downbeat -> chord chord in the right throughout), and that's a disappointing loss of compositional fidelity as a result simply because those flourishes would have been really nice next to the winds.

that said, the performances are great and the arrangement is a perfectly serviceable reduction of the orchestral parts. i certainly wish there was more but the flute especially carries the day here.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/11/16 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 15 & Octopath Traveler "Valse di Scholastica"

Octopath - :00-:33, 1:05-1:21
FF15 - :33-1:05

I could sit in a lobby and eat donuts on endless repeat; it sounds like a great day off!

The more Russian-sounding one is Octopath, got it. I'll need to listen more closely or ask donut for a breakdown so we can determine which game to classify this under.

Once I recognized source material in play until 1:21 (past the 50% point to satisfy the source usage criteria), I just focused on the musicianship. A lovely & delicate adaptation and combination of the themes!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/11/16 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 15 & Octopath Traveler "Valse di Scholastica"

The interplay between the two sources is much more complex than Larry's "breakdown" suggests; the two themes trade places frequently, to the point that it's difficult to tell which is which at times. I don't think the two sources are similar at all, other than that they're both waltzes, so good job blending them together as if they were.

The relentless beat of the piano is indeed a detraction. The two sources do have stronger, more consistent beats than most classical waltzes, but not nearly to this extent. Anyone actually dancing to this would get pretty bored: there's nothing there for them to work with.

Still, that's the only reservation I have. Strong work overall.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/11/16 - Final Fantasy 15 & Octopath Traveler "Valse di Scholastica"
  • 3 weeks later...

The lead performances here are fabulous, that's not in question whatsoever. I also would have liked to see more dynamics in the part writing on the piano as well, but I'll also call attention to the EQ/reverb levels on the piano. Because the piano lives almost exclusively in the lower registers, the reverb starts to build up heavily in those lower frequencies. In the future, I would recommend sending your reverbs to a bus so you can apply an EQ shelf/cut somewhere between 200-500hz to reduce some of that low frequency mud. A little dip to the dry piano itself would probably also clean up the mix slightly.

All that said, this is just advice for the future - this track is very clearly over the bar and should stand as a solid entry to our catalog even in its current form. Nice work y'all!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04650 - *YES* Octopath Traveler & Final Fantasy 15 "Valse di Scholastica"
  • Liontamer locked this topic